We had a great launch to our spring Wednesday Night Nurture (Dinner and programs) last Wednesday. I hope everyone comes back this week to help out with a very important fundraiser this Wednesday. The Friendship Sunday School Class is providing the meal (goulash, green beans, salad, and dessert) as one of our early Relay for Life fundraising opportunities. If you are able, simply leave a donation in the basket as you go through the line. If you are not able to make a donation, come through the line anyway – there is plenty of food to share in God’s house. We will continue the Children’s Bible Study in the fundamentals room from 6-7 pm. Pastor Mark will be teaching our new Holy Communion “Safe Serve” class from 6:15 –7 pm in the main Sanctuary. Everyone is invited to this – and especially anyone who thinks they might want to help out serving Holy Communion in the service you attend at anytime during 2015. The workshop speaks to both the “why we do what we do” and the “how we do it.” And just because you come, you are not automatically a communion server. I will have a clipboard for anyone to sigh up for that if you are interested at the end of the workshop. I have found that the more we understand what and why we do what we do – they more powerful and meaningful it becomes. Come enhance your experience of the Holy during Holy Communion.
Pastor Mark Traveling
I will be traveling to a Conference event in Atlanta all day Saturday, coming back into town late Saturday night just long enough to worship on Sunday morning and then out Sunday afternoon through Wed afternoon at another Conference work shop in Atlanta before coming back into town late Wed for our Church Council Meeting at 6 pm in the Sanctuary. Let grace “abound” in the week ahead!
Wednesday Night Teaching Schedule from Our Pastor
- January 21: Teaching “Holy Communion” Workshop for everyone from 6:15 pm – 7 pm
- January 28: Church Council Meeting that night from 6 – 7 pm in the Sanctuary (all members are invited to come)
- February 4: Teaching Prayer Workshop 6-7 pm in the Friendship Sunday School Room
- February 11: Pastor Mark will be preaching at Young Harris College Chapel service – no Pastor event at FUMC
- February 18: Ash Wednesday Service from 6:15 to 7 pm in the main Sanctuary
- February 25: Bible Study begins again 6-7 pm in the Friendship Sunday School room.
In the UMC tradition, we offer an annual confirmation experience to all 5th graders (and older) children and youth. We will begin with an initial retreat on our Church campus led by Melinda Weldon and Pastor Mark and other helpers on February 27-28 (Friday evening and Saturday day.) Confirmation Sunday will happen on Pentecost Sunday, May 24. In between those two dates will be eight spiritual encounters led by pastor Mark and Ms. Melinda. You do not need to be a member of our church to go through our confirmation experiences. Help us cast a VERY WIDE NET by inviting anyone and everyone you know who might benefit from repeated quality time with the staff team of this church (Children’s Director, Senior pastor, and others) as we encounter the Bible, our faith, our traditions, and our journey to God’s heart together in a safe, comfortable, and fun environment. Let Melinda know if you have a child or youth who might be interested in this experience. We use supervised youth as our helpers during confirmation (and of course, they are part of the entire experience with everyone else.) Begin praying for what God might do with our 2015 Confirmation Class opportunity. Help us grow an amazing class together. The Holy Wind wants to rush among us on Pentecost, May 24 – I can feel it in my soul.
Youth Ski Trip Planning
We need to firm up our numbers so Camden can get a firm price from TVR in Plumtree North Carolina. The trip is tentatively planned for February 13-16 (if all the snow days hold up for Union County Schools. If your youth thinks they may be going, Camden needs to know by Sunday, Jan 25 so he can negotiate a price. Please email Camden at email@example.com
Upcoming Premier Jewelry “Relay for Life Fundraiser
Alisia Hargus will once again have her Premier jewelry designs on display in the fellowship hall thiscoming Sunday from the end of the 8:30 am Worship service until 2 pm. Come purchase a gift for yourself or others and help us fight cancer through our FUMC Relay for Life team who will receive part of the proceeds from this show. Thanks again Alysia!
A “World View” from Blairsville
Our Joe and Kim Tatman have arrived safely back home from Honduras. Many of you experienced a “touch” from Honduras as our Youth Director (Camden Goddard) did a very good job telling the story of his recent trip to the Honduras orphanage this last Sunday at all three services. Jack Dugger was commissioned this last Sunday for his two week Gideon’s International trip to Tanzania Africa. Our cross came back from Honduras only to be sent to Tanzania 6 days later! Jack leaves on Friday.
Concerns/Praises: PRAY WITHOUT CEASING
This is not a complete list – just immediate prayer needs for the immediate faith family in the week ahead
- Kathy Heyer and family in the recent loss of Kathy’s brother
- Ellie Dobson’s in the recent loss of her grandson
- Shirley Walker in the recent loss of her husband
- Rick Siefken in the recent loss of a beloved family member in the Midwest
- H.R. Warden – general health
- Richard Hoibraten’s brother James in California – late stage cancer
- Hazel Douglass – mobility now limited – moved to UCNH Blue 248
- Phil Meeks – eye problem
- JoAnn Mayhew – at UGNH room pink 146 doing rehab for her armGail McGuire – having cataract procedures in Florida Jan 20 (today) and Jan 27
- Helen Owensby – at home recovering from foot surgery
- Bill & Barbara Gleasure’s daughter-in-law (Harley Gleasure) – diagnosed with Breast cancer – chemo
- Steve Redstone – has biopsy and PET scan scheduled Jan 20 (today) and Jan 23
- Margie Bowron – bronchial / pulmonary chronic difficulty – on IV antibiotics
- Myrtle von Staden nephew in Baltimore (life threatening virus) – doing better – survived multiple surgeries
- Jane Driskell/Shirley Cobb/Bob Head/Eva Breedlove/Carol Warren – chronic back/pain issuesThose fighting cancer from our faith family:
- Avis Shaw sister Mildred (lymphoma returned)
- Valerie Metcalf, Joyce Kible, Donna Morningstar and several others (in various stages of testing and treatment)
- Everyone struggling with the seasonal illness
A Note from Your Finance Team
Just a gentle reminder (but it appears as though most of you have already made the transition) – we are now in the 2015 Estimate of Giving Cards giving cycle – the ones most of you provided in November during our 2014 Stewardship journey. Giving for the month of January has been: January 4, $45,595, January 11, $16,965. Given the holiday on MLK Day impacting our counting team, we will have to catch back up on reported giving in next week’s tickle. Thank you ALL so very much for your heaven sent generosity! You are an amazing faith family!
God’s Boundless Joy,